What better way to kick of the holiday season than by showing others how much we care. This time of year always seems to bring out the best in people, so why not take that grateful spirit and help make a difference in the lives of those around us?
It’s not always easy to show gratitude in our daily lives- since, let’s be honest, it is so easy to get distracted and caught up in the business of our everyday lives. Can we make some time in our schedule to focus on putting a smile on someone’s face and trying our best to brighten up their day? Let’s join together to spread some kindness to others and let them know that we care, we are there for them and that they are special.
10 ways that YOU can show gratitude this Thanksgiving:
- Drive through difference – Have you ever done this? I heard about the DTD on the radio and was intrigued. Next time you are in line at the drive through, pay for the person behind you. When I did this, the cashier was like, “Wait, really?” and I was like “Yes!”. This really can make a big impact in someone’s day. Could you imagine someone just picking up your tab? How sweet and heartwarming. If you are more comfortable printing out a letter to pass along, you can find one here!
- Write a letter – Call, email or write your closest five people in your life and let them know how thankful you are for them and why.
- Put those cooking skills to good use – Make a friend their favorite meal. Drop it off on a day that you know they are so busy and could use a night of free cooking. Just imagine how thankful your friend will be to come home, eat a yummy meal and then relax!
- Sign up to serve – There is no better way to make a difference than to serve someone. If you are connected with a church, ask around if there are any projects needed to be done. See if your local community needs help setting up for an event, or sign up to serve a meal at your local soup kitchen. Maybe even arrange to walk your neighbors dog for them for a week. Any time that you can put aside will be so appreciated!
- Donate – Time some time to go through your garage. Rumage through your closests. Pick out some clothes that you no longer wear and are willing to part with. Have some extra toys lying around that your kid no longer uses? Have any old books that you are finished reading? Donate them to your local hopeless shelter or call your local GoodWill.
- Send a care package – Send a holiday care package to a soldier abroad. There are many websites out there with information on what is needed and where to send boxes. You can find different organizations here. Go shopping for a soldier this holiday season.
- Sponsor a family in need – TJ and I sponsor two children, Edwing from Nicaragua and Guiliana from Bolivia. It has been such an amazing experience being able to financially assist these children and their families. The best part is that we have created a special bond through back and forth letters. We love sponsoring and encourage you to do the same! Organizations like World Vision and Compassion International are great places to start!
- Host a Friendsgiving – Bless your friends this November by hosting a special dinner party. Don’t expect them to bring anything but themselves. Before dinner starts, go around the table and tell each friend why you are thankful to have them in your lives.
- Donate a Thanksgiving meal to a family in need – Donate that free turkey that you get from Shop Rite each year! 😉 Whatever you plan to make for your family this year, double. Ask your local church where you can donate food or if there is a family in need of a warm Thanksgiving meal.
- Get active – Pick an organization that you are passionate about. Gather a group of close friends or co-workers and sign up! Run or walk for a good cause.
I personally am going to try to do all of these this holiday season. Just think what an impact it could make! Will you join me?
Have any suggestions to add to this list? Leave your comments below!