Black Friday is approaching, who’s ready? Are you one of those ‘get up at 4am to be the first in line at the store’ kinda girl or are you the, ‘umm no way- I’ll pass’ kinda girl? I think I fall in the middle. I’m always interested in what the hot sales are, but would rather sleep in the day after Thanksgiving- I’ll blame it on the turkey 😉
If you decide that this year you are ready to tackle the lines and start your holiday shopping early, than I have compiled a guide to help you get the best bang for your buck.
- Do your research– Get prepared for the madness! Compare ad prices with different stores selling similar products. Use the amazon app to compare prices and see if you are actually getting a good deal. To your surprise, some stores will actually price match products. Bring your research with you. Take a copy of the ad with the best price to the stores you are shopping at, so that you can get the item you want for cheaper. Also, be careful. Don’t assume because something is listed as a ‘door-buster deal’, that you are actually getting a good deal. Black Friday deals can be misleading and ads can leave out important details, such as – the first 100 people in line will receive this or that. Take the time to educate yourself on the deals before heading out to the store (super) early.
- Shop with a purpose– Have a shopping goal in mind. Don’t be fooled into spending more than you wanted to, or can afford to pay for! Make a list and shop intentionally. Most importantly, shop within your budget.
- Know your timing– Find out when the best time is to buy. You may think that you are getting a great bargain on Black Friday, but Cyber Monday deals may be better. Sometimes even waiting until a week or two before Christmas can be the best time to shop. Stores will offer free shipping codes and list items at the cheapest costs, in hope of making last minute sales. Be patient. If you miss one deal, there will be another. I promise. This all times back to ‘do your research.’
- Pretend to shop– You are probably wondering what I mean by this. I have actually read that if you do your online shopping about a week before Black Friday, and then abandon your online cart, stores likely to email you a coupon or discount code, in hopes of getting you to buy. It is worth trying out, especially if you can save on shipping costs or get a special discount.
- Save extra bucks– One of my favorite money-saving apps is one called Raise. Raise is an app that let’s you purchase used gift cards at discounted prices. If you plan to spend let’s say, $100 at Dick’s Sporting Goods, you may be able to buy a $100 gift card for only $94 on Raise. Prices of cards depend on the sell-back rates on the app and vary from shop to shop. If at the end of the day you can save extra money just by buying these gift cards and using them when you shop. My only personal suggestion when using the app is to check if the GC you want to buy is available by mobile or mail. I recommend buying the mobile gift cards because you can use in the store at time of purchase. If you order a ‘mailed’ gift card, that is fine, however you will receive it from the seller a week or two later. Download the app ahead of time and take a look at any gift cards that may work in your favor. By using apps like this, you are becoming a smart shopper and saving some extra money!
Have any tips other tips for getting the best Black Friday deals? Be sure to leave a comment below! Happy shopping everyone + be safe!
What better way to kick of the holiday season than by showing others how much we care. This time of year always seems to bring out the best in people, so why not take that grateful spirit and help make a difference in the lives of those around us?
It’s not always easy to show gratitude in our daily lives- since, let’s be honest, it is so easy to get distracted and caught up in the business of our everyday lives. Can we make some time in our schedule to focus on putting a smile on someone’s face and trying our best to brighten up their day? Let’s join together to spread some kindness to others and let them know that we care, we are there for them and that they are special.
10 ways that YOU can show gratitude this Thanksgiving:
- Drive through difference – Have you ever done this? I heard about the DTD on the radio and was intrigued. Next time you are in line at the drive through, pay for the person behind you. When I did this, the cashier was like, “Wait, really?” and I was like “Yes!”. This really can make a big impact in someone’s day. Could you imagine someone just picking up your tab? How sweet and heartwarming. If you are more comfortable printing out a letter to pass along, you can find one here!
- Write a letter – Call, email or write your closest five people in your life and let them know how thankful you are for them and why.
- Put those cooking skills to good use – Make a friend their favorite meal. Drop it off on a day that you know they are so busy and could use a night of free cooking. Just imagine how thankful your friend will be to come home, eat a yummy meal and then relax!
- Sign up to serve – There is no better way to make a difference than to serve someone. If you are connected with a church, ask around if there are any projects needed to be done. See if your local community needs help setting up for an event, or sign up to serve a meal at your local soup kitchen. Maybe even arrange to walk your neighbors dog for them for a week. Any time that you can put aside will be so appreciated!
- Donate – Time some time to go through your garage. Rumage through your closests. Pick out some clothes that you no longer wear and are willing to part with. Have some extra toys lying around that your kid no longer uses? Have any old books that you are finished reading? Donate them to your local hopeless shelter or call your local GoodWill.
- Send a care package – Send a holiday care package to a soldier abroad. There are many websites out there with information on what is needed and where to send boxes. You can find different organizations here. Go shopping for a soldier this holiday season.
- Sponsor a family in need – TJ and I sponsor two children, Edwing from Nicaragua and Guiliana from Bolivia. It has been such an amazing experience being able to financially assist these children and their families. The best part is that we have created a special bond through back and forth letters. We love sponsoring and encourage you to do the same! Organizations like World Vision and Compassion International are great places to start!
- Host a Friendsgiving – Bless your friends this November by hosting a special dinner party. Don’t expect them to bring anything but themselves. Before dinner starts, go around the table and tell each friend why you are thankful to have them in your lives.
- Donate a Thanksgiving meal to a family in need – Donate that free turkey that you get from Shop Rite each year! 😉 Whatever you plan to make for your family this year, double. Ask your local church where you can donate food or if there is a family in need of a warm Thanksgiving meal.
- Get active – Pick an organization that you are passionate about. Gather a group of close friends or co-workers and sign up! Run or walk for a good cause.
I personally am going to try to do all of these this holiday season. Just think what an impact it could make! Will you join me?
Have any suggestions to add to this list? Leave your comments below!
Can you believe it’s that time of year already? I have been working so hard on this Gift Guide for you all and I hope that it inspires some of your holiday shopping. I have linked up to all of the products at the end of the guide. I hope you enjoy it!
*Quick links to all products shown!*
#1. Stackers Jewelry Organizer
#2. Canon EOS Rebel
#4. Mrs. Necklace
#5. Hair Wand
#6. Garden Candle
#7. Makeup Kit
#8. Makeup organizer
#1. Demo Day hammer
#2. Echo Dot
#3. Playstation 4
#4. Hubby mug
#5. Beats headphones
#6. JORD watch
#7. Gym bag
#1. Cold Brew coffee maker
#2. Bracelet cuff
#3. “Magic of Motherhood” book
#4. Mask kit
#5. “Mommy fuel” Mug
#6. Crossbody bag
#7. Coffee + tea lovers basket
use code ‘SPEERIT15’ for 15 % off
#1. Customizable tool belt
#2. Virtual Reality
#4. Customizable map
#5. Smart Lightbulb
#6. Shredder claws
For my Bestie:
#1. “She loves adventure” Mug
#3. iPhone Case
#4. Christmas Onsie
#5. Bracelet stack
#6. FabFitFun Box
For the Organizer:
#1. Letter boards
#2. Pad and pen set
#3. 2018 planner
#4. “Do it all” 2018 calendar 2018
#5. Desktop storage racks
For the Momma to Be:
#1. Bandie and bow set
#2. Nursing cover
#3. Matching t-shirt + onsie
use code ‘asthespeeritmovesyou’ for 15 % off
#5. Nursing Sling
#1. Customizable Coffee Bag
use code ‘SPEERIT15’ for 15 % off
#2. Rainbow notepad
#3. Fun Socks
#4. Bath bomb
#5. Pom Pom keychain
#6. Contant lens case
#7. Leather gloves
#8. Coffee bean candle
use code ‘SPEERIT15’ for 15 % off