Todays post is sponsored by Parmigiano Reggiano
TJ and I have been trying our best to eat healthier lately. When I plan our dinners out for the week, I try to stick with options that are healthy, not only for us but for baby Landon as well. Also, being that my favorite time of year is upon us (hello fall, I’ve been waiting for you) I decided to incorporate a dish that is not only healthy, but comforting too- using my favorite cheese on the market right now, Parmigiano Reggiano. This dish is perfect for the cooler temps and cozy nights.
When I found out that Parmigiano Reggiano wanted to collaborate with me, I was so excited! My husband is a die-hard Italian and loves pasta with lots and lots of CHEESE. Parmigiano Reggiano is a staple in our home and in all of the dishes that he loves. Encorporate my love of cooking + his love for Italian cheeses and you can basically call it the perfect match.
Now, I mentioned before that TJ and I are trying to eat healthier- so you may wonder why I chose to talk about cheese? Well, did you know that Parmigiano Reggiano is actually really good for you?! It is a healthy cheese and is great for kids as well. Because of the long aging process, Parmigiano Reggiano is naturally lactose-free. It is easily digestible and the perfect source of both protein and calcium. #winning!
Known as the “King of Cheese”, Parmigiano Reggiano has been made the same way for over 900 years in Italy. (They must be doing something right!) Completely natural, it is made with just 3 ingredients and is delicious grated, melted or chunked and eaten raw. This cheese is the must have wedge for cheese for every fridge!
- 1 box whole wheat lasagna noodles (oven ready lasagna noodles make it real easy!)
- 1 zucchini (diced into small cubes)
- 1 yellow squash (diced into small cubes)
- 2 cups of sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 medium tomato (diced into small pieces)
- 2 cups of light ricotta cheese
- 1 20 oz jar of pasta sauce (any brand you choose)
- 3 tablespoons of finely shredded Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 small handful of parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to directions on the package. If you purchased oven ready noodles, you can skip this part.
- In a large nonstick skillet, add olive oil over medium heat. Add vegetables and cook for around 5 minutes - until veggies soft and tender. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl combine ricotta, parsley (optional), Parmigiano Reggiano, and salt/pepper.
- In a large casserole dish, layer lasagna noodles with cheese mixture. Place 3 noodles in the bottom of the baking dish (trim edges as necessary). Spoon half of the ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles. Top with half of the veggie mixture, half of the sauce, and half of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Sprinkle tomato and freshly shredded Parmigiano Reggiano on top of the casserole. Bake for another 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Let casserole stand 5 minutes before serving. ENJOY
Want a chance to win some cheese for you and your family? Enter the FREE SWEEPSTAKE below for the chance to win a Holiday Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese Feast! GOOD LUCK!