I am someone who considers themself to be a good cook and have experimented with a decent amount of different types of meals to date. Lasagna has always been one that has intimidated me. I always thought it was “too complicated” or that it would take too much effort. I am here to tell you that you CAN conquer lasagna! It is easy!
-1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
-3/4 lb. lean ground beef
-1/2 cup of minced onion
-2 cloves crushed garlic
-1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
-2 8oz cans of tomato paste
-2 8oz cans of tomato sauce
-1/2 cup of water
-1 handful of dried basil leaves
-1 tsp. Italian seasonings
-salt & pepper (as much or little as you wish)
-1 handful chopped fresh parsley
-1 box of lasagna noodles
-16 ounces of ricotta cheese
-1 bag of shredded mozzarella cheese
-3/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese
1. In a large dutch oven, (time to pull out the Le Creuset) cook the sausage, ground beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until cooked through and nicely browned.
2. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water, stir together.
3. Add in the basil and chopped parsley (leave a little bit for later), stir.
4. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours. Stir occasionally.
5. Cook pasta according to instructions on box and drain in cold water.
6. In a bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, the remaining parsley and 1/2 tsp. of salt.
7. Preheat the oven to 375.
8. To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a large casserole dish. Arrange a single layer of noodles over the meat. Spread a single layer of ricotta mixture over the noodles. Top with mozzarella cheese (just to lightly cover the ricotta). Spoon more meat sauce over the mozzarella and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Repeat the layers, ending with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
9. Cover with foil and bake in oven for 25 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake uncooked for another 25 minutes.
10. Cool for 15 minutes before serving!